Education can play a very important role in a person’s life. However, with college becoming more and more expensive, it is imperative that students with children have scholarships to help them achieve their degree. The following document was created to assist student parents in finding scholarships to assist them in funding their education. This list is not all inclusive.
- The Huggable Supermom Scholarship. This scholarship was created to help single moms fund their education. Current high school seniors, undergrad, and graduate students are all eligible to apply. Applicants must write a 500 to 1,000 word essay about their future career goals, and how being a mom has helped to shape those goals. The due date is June 30th and December 31st 2020. Awards are $2,000 each.
- Bethel Foundation Grace Scholarship Fund. This scholarship is only available to women who identify as single and the head of household with at least one child under the age of 18. They must be pursuing an associate’s or bachelor’s degree and must be a recipient of the Pell Grant. Three letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and high school transcripts are all required. The due dates to apply are June 15th for the fall semester, March 15th for the summer semester, and October 15th for the spring semester. Funding per student is up to $1,500 or $750 for the summer semester.
- Soroptimist Live Your Dream Award. Applicants must be the primary financial support system for themselves and at least one other dependent. They must be enrolled in a vocational/skills training program or pursuing their first undergraduate degree. Two letters of recommendation and a personal statement are both required. The application period will run from August 1 to November 15, 2020. Funding runs from $1,000 at the club level to $10,000 at the international level.
- Custody X Change Single Parent Scholarship. Applicants must have primary custody of at least one child under the age of 18. They must also submit an unofficial transcript and write a 500 word essay. The application deadlines are April 30th, August 31st, and December 31st. Awards are for $1,000 each.
- Kopfler & Hermann Overcoming Adversity Scholarship. Though this scholarship is not directed at single parents, it asks all applicants to submit a 500 to 1,000 word essay describing a time that they overcame adversity. Applicants can be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate level degree. They must also submit a resume and an unofficial transcript. The application deadline is November 30, 2020. The award is for $1,000.
- Kickass Single Mom Stimulus Grant. This grant can be used for anything, and the application process only takes a few minutes! The only qualification is that the applicant must be a single mother. Every week from March 26, 2020 onward, a different applicant is chosen. The award is for $500.
- TopProducts Single Mother Scholarship. This scholarship only requires a 1,200 to 1,500 word essay and unofficial high school or college transcript to be considered. Applicants must be a single mom with at least one child under the age of 18. No deadline is currently in place for fall 2020, and it is for an undisclosed amount.
- Bernal-Mora & Nickolaou Annual Single Parent Scholarship. This scholarship is open to both single mothers and single fathers. It requires a 500 to 1,000 word essay focusing on how being a single parent has helped to shape your life goals. The deadline is July 31, 2020, and the scholarship is for $1,000.
- Women’s Independence Scholarship Program (WISP). This scholarship is for women who are survivors of intimate partner violence. Women must be nominated by and sponsored by a local women’s shelter, and must be working with them for a minimum of six months. There is no set deadline to apply, and the average award is about $2,000 per semester.
- Patsy Mink Foundation. This scholarship recipient must be a single mother with dependent children, and must be pursuing their first bachelor’s, vocational, or graduate degree. The recipient must also qualify as low income. The scholarship is worth $5,000.